Every business or brand can have multiple audience profiles. An astute marketer recognizes the importance of marketing segmentation or organizing your customer segments based on variable of data sets.
Segmenting your subscriber lists collected from customers who visit your storefront to connect to WiFi, from your website and other third-party applications like delivery apps, reservation apps and subscribers from your newsletter and online store can be a daunting task.
We made marketing segmentation simple, easy and straightforward across multiple-channels.
Marketing segmentation is a data-driven practice to improve the performance of your email marketing campaigns and automations.
Guide To Marketing Segmentation For Email Marketing
Believe it or not, every serious marketer who knows how to do email marketing well and successfully is aware of marketing segmentation.
As you’ve dabbled in email marketing to grow your business, you probably have heard of the terms marketing automation and marketing segmentation, right? We cover this topic extensively in every scheduled customer demo.
What is marketing segmentation? It is a way for a marketer to look at a universe of subscribers in groups or segments. The data-sets used to segment your subscriber lists vary based on your marketing automation and campaign goals. Segmentation is a data-driven practice to improve the performance of your email marketing campaigns and to better understand your customers.
Ways you can segment your subscribers. There are many ways to segment our subscriber lists. As you gather more data, marketing segmentation is a very powerful tool to help you plan and implement campaigns. Here are a few common segmentation rules that can be used for in-store and digital channels:
1) # of visits. This segmentation is based on number of visits in your storefront or website. This information allows a marketer to focus on building trust with this specific segment, until their visit frequency increases and coverts to a purchase.
2) Time based segmentation. This could be based on date of first visit, date of last visit, reservation dates, online order purchase date. Specific campaigns could include a post visit survey and an offer for their next reservation or order. For a better performing campaign, send time could be optimized to the subscriber’s current time zone.
3) Demographics. This could be based on location, gender, age, education, marital status, ethnicity. A marketer won’t usually capture all these data sets , unless it is critical to use your product or service. There are available third-party data enrichment sites that can help fill the gaps.
4) Purchase data based segmentation. A customer marketing platform with POS and eCommerce integrations can easily capture and correlate consumer purchase data. This means you can create segments based on amount spent and most products bought.
5) Email engagement segmentation. The ability to segment your data based on insights and trends gathered from email marketing campaigns and marketing automations is a great way to experiment and test a variety of messages and call to action. This means that you’ll know which segments of your audience belong to your brand lifecycle (awareness, interest, purchase and loyal customer).
Segmentation performance. Knowing which segments of your subscriber lists are growing fastest and performing well is a great indicator which channels are most effective for your business or brand. For example, we know that subscribers from business WiFi service grow 48% faster than landing pages and web capture forms.
Setting up your first marketing segmentation. When businesses and brands subscribe to GoGoGuest, our customer success team creates 4 marketing segmentations including: 1) customers who connect for the first time on guest WiFi 2) customers who visited 3 times 3) visitors who have earned a reward 4) welcome content for visitors who joined via the website. Each segment is created based on a specific rule and data set.
GoGoGuest is a customer marketing and data software subscription solution that helps every business and iconic brand better understand their customers. We are trusted by over 200 businesses and power more than a million customer engagements every month. Our story.